Saturday, August 28, 2010

Just finished the book, "Forgotten God"


Everything makes much more sense now - the way my heart has been burdened, my desire for change...all of it.

It's been the Spirit working in me, and I shouldn't be afraid or try and quench it. I need to follow where He leads me and be satisfied.

The last part of the book was what really got to me. Francis & his wife decided to give all the royalties from their book, Crazy Love, to the Isaiah 58 fund. The money goes to the needy in this world - those who are starving, sick, and in the sex-slave trade. People told him that he was being foolish and irresponsible with the gifts God gave them. They said that Francis and his wife should at least have put away some of the money in case of an emergency.

To that, Francis replied, "Is it not an emergency that children in Cambodia and Thailand and even the United States are being raped every single day of their lives? Why is that not an emergency? Is it only an emergency if it affects me and my immediate family?"

This gets me thinking - what the heck am I doing to help God's children - those who are in need? Jesus said the greatest command is to love God and love others. How am I loving others? How is my time, money, and talent being used for His kingdom?

I am so desperately praying to be used by You, God. I know You've called me to work as a missionary in the city of Toronto, to give away my stuff, and to donate my money to those in need. But I want to do more. I want people to see my life and praise You for all that You are doing. I want to be radical - not lukewarm, or comfortable, or complacent. Holy Spirit, guide me. I ask for Your presence in my life. Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

That book is on my shelf now but only half read. I guess I need to complete it. I loved Francis Chan's book "Crazy Love". Thanks for your thoughts.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Krista said...

I will have to check out that book! It does make you stop and ask ourselves what are we doing to help.

Brooke said...

i just recently finished this book. very powerful stuff huh?