Monday, May 3, 2010

The Importance of Prayer

We are so quick to shrug off prayer times, aren't we? Well, I know that I am. When it comes down to it, I don't spend nearly enough time in prayer. I usually mumble a few words before going to sleep, and even then, I sometimes fall asleep before I'm finished.

Prayer is so important in a believer's life. It's communication with God - with THE God, the Creator of the Universe, the One who came to the earth as man to die for our sins. What a privilege and a blessing to be able to freely talk to Him. And yet, I seem so quick to forget who I'm talking to...perhaps it's because I don't actually see God in all His glory and majesty. Just because I don't see it, though, doesn't mean His presence is not there in the room with me. Nor does it lessen the fact that I am talking to the Lord of Lords, the Most Holy of all.

I would love to be like the elders in Revelation who fall on their faces before the throne of God...so this week, I vow to a) go to bed early, and b) spend at least 10 minutes in prayer while c) sitting on the floor instead of laying in bed. I hope this will become a regular occurrence. I have no doubt that after spending time with the Lord, I will long for His presence on a daily basis.

The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever." And the twenty-four elders, who were seated on their thrones before God, fell on their faces and worshiped God, saying: "We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign. - Revelation 11:15-17


Photobucket

1 comment:

Indy said...

I find myself in the same place as you - mumbling a few words before bed.

I share a room, my sister and I go to bed around the same time. You see, I was praying aloud once before bed ( I was lying in my bed) thinking that she was asleep .. and I hear her tellme to be quiet :S So right now, Im staying up extra late to get in some aloud prayer time.