Thursday, February 4, 2010

Start of a New Semester...

Exams are finally done and over with - well, at least until we receive our final report cards! Luckily, I don't have to think about that for another few weeks. For now, I have a new semester to focus on, which comes with feelings of excitement and a whole new set of butterflies in my tummy. One would think that after doing this for the eighth time, I would be a seasoned veteran and able to adjust to the new timetable smoothly.

Unfortunately, I am a bundle of nerves when it comes to change. I can't stand having my order disrupted, especially if I have no control over it. My new timetable looked to be promising, however, and I had already found out that many of my friends would be in my classes. Musical Theatre went by without any problems, and History and English (two of my favourite subjects!) were so much fun. The one snag in my day happened when I arrived in Vocal class, feeling like a complete outcast and reject when compared to the elite of the musical people in our school.

Now, one thing you must know about me is that I love to sing. It has been my passion since I started voice lessons seven years ago and has continued to this day. I know I'm never going to be the next Amy Grant or go on to American Idol, but I like to think that I have an amiable, "pretty" voice. Yet when I'm surrounded by my class who flaunt their amazing vocal skills around shamelessly, I start to get incredibly nervous and uncomfortable singing around them. Their cliquey, gossipy nature and the favour bestowed on them from the teacher add to the discomfort I feel.

Yet I know God has placed me in this class for a reason, even though I do not see it right this second. I know I am to act like Jesus would - loving your enemies, granting forgiveness, and offering kindness to all. Putting that into practice will be the challenge, for I'm not on great terms with the teacher or with the students in the class. But I must also remind myself who I'm out to please - not my fellow peers or teachers, but God. His standards are my standards, and if what I do pleases Him and is in line with His word, then there is nothing else I desire.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
Photobucket

3 comments:

Miss Janet said...

Just smile, honey! and tell the LORD that you are on mission for Him.

He loves you!

Janet

Angie Vik said...

Just do your best and try not to worry about what the other music students think of you. Often, they feel unsure of themselves too and that's part of the reason they act like they do. Hopefully you'll all get used to each other and they'll learn to value you as part of their musical team. Hoping your last high school semester goes well.

Miss Janet said...

Hey! I am sending you a blog award! You can pick it up on my blog on Saturday, Feb. 13.

Love,
Janet